Page 1 of Another DMRE55 owner looking for some help

Hardware Forum

Another DMRE55 owner looking for some help

pat-w (Elite) posted this on Sunday, 12th December 2004, 00:29

I recently bought a Panasonic DMRE55 dvd recorder & I'm very happy with it, apart from one niggle- it never occurred to me that a dvd recorder that uses the DVD-R system wouldn't write to DVD-RW discs.
So, having gone out & bought two 10 pack's of ram discs I now find my PC dvd rom drive doesn't recognise the DVD-RAM format, so I've just ordered a LG dvd rom drive from e-buyer.
This won't arrive till Thursday, so while I'm waiting for it to arrive, can anyone help me with a couple of questions regarding the DMRE55?

I have 2 batches of blank DVD-R.
According to DVD Decrypter, one set of discs are- "Manufacturer ID: RITEKG05"
The other discs show as "Manufacturer ID: TTG02"
The RITEKG05 discs work fine.
The TTG02 blanks which I think were branded as RIDISC won't work in the Panny.
Even worst, after trying to get the DMRE55 to recognise a TTG02 disc, it then shows as an unreadable disc which means I can't even use in on my PC.
Both sets of discs were bought from SVP & the ones that don't work cost more!

I would prefer to use printable discs in the Panasonic.
Do you think that any DVD-R blank listed as RITEKG05 will work? SVP sell a lot of RITEKG04 printable discs as well. Anyone tried them in a DMRE55?
What discs do other owners of the DMRE55 use?

Also, regarding the Ram discs in a PC drive- can I use DVD Shrink to read the disc?
I'm asking in case I want to re-author a disc onto a DVD-R to lose the menus

Thanks for taking the time to read this long winded post & I hope someone reading it can help with my enquiry.
Cheers

P.S.
Merry Christmas to all here & a Happy New Year :)

This item was edited on Sunday, 12th December 2004, 00:34

RE: Another DMRE55 owner looking for some help

Landyrover (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Sunday, 12th December 2004, 10:21

Hi, I have the Panny E50. I had lots of problems with various maked of DVD-R`s. I haven`t tried the Ritek discs but I think others on this forum have posted they use these without probs. I use Panasonic branded discs (both DVD-R and DVD-RAM) and haven`t had a dud or a glitch to date! :)

I have an LG drive in the PC that reads DVD-RAM. I just tried to get DVD Shrink to read a RAM disc but it didn`t want to know... however, it might if the video files are renamed .vob. However, like many others here I regularly use TMPEG DVD Author to edit my RAM recordings (take out the ads, etc) and then burn to DVD-R. This can be found on the internet. I used it free for a 30 day trial and then took up the option to buy it on line. Its a good programme! 8)

Good Luck and Merry Xmas!

Nick

This item was edited on Sunday, 12th December 2004, 10:23

GyneBob (Competent) posted this on Sunday, 12th December 2004, 18:54

i`ve used the G04 dye discs and not had any probs so far :) , got some of the budget discs and they were a nightmare, probs all the time with them, had to switch off at the mains a few times to get the damn things out again.
i generally pay around 23p to 28p per disc from a local shop (in 25`s) as ordering online with SVP & others ends up being to expensive when the postage is added on, only worth ordering online when you`re gettin a big order. :)

pat-w (Elite) posted this on Sunday, 12th December 2004, 18:54

GyneBob, thanks for the info re the G04 blanks. Glad to know i can still use SVP

Nick, thank you also for your post.
Downloaded TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 from Here.
Because it's a 30 day trial program I'm going to wait till I've got the new dvd-rom drive installed.

Dumb question, but can't I just do a straight forward DVD-Ram disc to DVD-R disc copy, using something like Nero Express?

Thanks

This item was edited on Sunday, 12th December 2004, 19:17

blodwin (Competent) posted this on Sunday, 12th December 2004, 19:38

Hi

While i dont have a panasonic with that disk type i have tried using nero to copy a dvd+rw to a dvd+r and it wont it gives up about half way everytime.But B recorders gold 5 will do that fine no problems but i dont know if its the same for your disk types.

bye
R.B

OlManRivah (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Sunday, 12th December 2004, 19:56

I use nothing but Panasonic Discs in my E55. My contention is, if it`s impotant enough to record on a DVD-R, it`s important enough to use quality media. I have had zero problems with Panny media.

Country Boys Can survive!

Mikeonfreeserve (Elite) posted this on Sunday, 12th December 2004, 22:20

I have used only spindle pack purple ritek discs on my E55 and not a single duffer and I`m near the end of my second spindle (hint hint Santa!)

I found 7 Day Shop - the photo media site - good for 5 packs of Panasonic RAM but I have only used one RAM disc so far to chop out the ads and links between some link recorded stuff from my Sky+.

I keep loads of movies to watch later or upstairs.

At 25p per disc, who`s quibbling?

And to think what I paid for BASF Chrome videos!

Must get around to copying over all my music concert vids before they perish.

I fancy a RAM compatible dvd rewriter for my pc so would be keen to know what anyone else has got and what software?

Seasonal Felicitations.

Mike.

pat-w (Elite) posted this on Sunday, 12th December 2004, 22:48

Quote:
I fancy a RAM compatible dvd rewriter

Well, i think the Pioneer DVR-108 is Ram compatible- thats what the Pioneer website says Here

You could just buy a cheap dvd-rom drive to read the ram discs. About £21 including delivery from Here.

If you or anyone you know has a Costco card, they are selling two 5 packs of DVD-Ram discs for £13 & change. I got some at the Lakeside Thurrock store last Thursday.

I`m planning on using ram discs to record, edit the recording in the DMRE55, then to copy to DVD-R discs on my PC, then re-use the ram discs.
Hope this won`t be too much of a complicated procedure

This item was edited on Sunday, 12th December 2004, 22:55

Go back to Hardware Forum threads, or All Forum threads