Page 1 of Samsung DVD-R100E

Hardware Forum

Samsung DVD-R100E

eelind (Harmless) posted this on Friday, 28th January 2005, 20:33

Can anyone tell me why this recorder stops recording randomly when I am copying old films that I have on VHS tapes recorded from TV, it can happen at any time from 10 minutes to 2 hours. It does not happen when I transfer home movies that I have on simlar tapes.
lind32

RE: Samsung DVD-R100E

Muzzer (Harmless) posted this on Friday, 28th January 2005, 23:04

Can`t help directly with this problem, but there is a review on recommendedbuys.co.uk which suggests this machine has a problem copying from video because of copyright issues. Hope this helps, but what I really would like to know is what you think of the samsund dvd-r100e - I`m thinking of getting one - would you recommend it?

eelind (Harmless) posted this on Saturday, 29th January 2005, 15:22

As this is my first DVD recorder I am not really an authority on them but except for the problem I have stated it does everything I would expect. The quality of the recording is excellent. I still haven`t sorted out how to connect the Freeview box, VCR , DVD recorder, & theTV and get them all to function as I would like. A combination of any three is no problem. Perhaps you could help.
EL

creddish (Harmless) posted this on Friday, 11th February 2005, 11:21

Sorry I can`t help with your problem but as you have this recorder could you answer the following query please. The recoder has a Timeslip feature which I would have expected would allow you to watch a full screen view view of a recording while still continuing to record the rest of a TV programme. This is my understanding of what Timeslip means and is a unique feature of RAM recorders. However, on this recorder it appears that the current recording can only be viewed in the Picture In Picture image which is useless for normal viewing. Can you confirm this or otherwise please.

I did ring Samsung and the guy there did think that the recording was only available in PIP but I got the impression he was un-sure and was getting the info from the manual as I was.

Thanks

Colin

Telboy10 (Competent) posted this on Friday, 11th February 2005, 21:36

Guy`s, I think you have the wrong idea about timeslip. I have just ordered one of these machines from Tesco`s, a real bargain for £159 :)
I already have timeslip on my JVC DVD recorder. This feature allows you to start recording a programme, then to be able to start watching the beginning while still recording the end. This is useful if for example you were watching a live football match and someone calls you on the phone, you could start recording the match at that point, talk for 15 minutes on the phone, then start watching the recording from the point you were called away while still recording the end - all on the same disc. Another feature of timeslip is the ability to watch a recording on a disc while making another recording at the same time on the same disc. You can use this feature if you had recorded an earlier episode of a series which you wanted to watch while recording the next episode.

I would appreciate any feedback you have on this machine, including if you know a multi region hack.

Telboy10 (Competent) posted this on Sunday, 13th February 2005, 20:44

Colin, my delivery arrived yesterday from Tesco, first impressions are very good. I tried the time Slip feature and you can view the recording from the beginning while still recording the end on full screen, just toggle using the PIP button.

paulios (Harmless) posted this on Monday, 21st February 2005, 14:03

Hi,
I`ve got one of these ordered from tescos. Wondered what make Ram discs you`re using? Heard it can be a bit picky with certain makes.
Paul

Telboy10 (Competent) posted this on Monday, 21st February 2005, 22:00

Paulios, I am using Panasonic Ram Disc. They work fine with this machine. I am only using the Samsung as a play back machine i.e recording on my JVC, playback on the Samsung. I was surprised at the incompatibility between the two machines, I was under the impression that I could make one recording on the JVC and another on the Samsung using the same disc, but it doesn`t appear to like this.

paulios (Harmless) posted this on Monday, 21st February 2005, 22:18

Telboy, Thanks for your reply. The recorder arrived today and first impressions are very good. I`ve only got dvd-rw discs to play with at the moment so can`t try out timeslip playback etc. You say the panasonic ram discs work fine, did you try recording using them on the samsung or just playback? I`m looking at getting some 9.4GB DVD-RAM Double Sided discs in Caddys from the panasonic eshop, do you think these will be ok?

Telboy10 (Competent) posted this on Tuesday, 22nd February 2005, 16:53

Paulios, yes, I have tried both playback and recording and they work fine. I don`t have any ram disc`s in caddy`s so I can`t comment but I don`t see any reason why they wouldn`t play okay, after all the Samsung is compatable with ram in caddy`s. I personally prefer ram to -RW, they are much more versitile than -RW (Video mode).

Go back to Hardware Forum threads, or All Forum threads