[VIDEO] Living on Youtube
last post by Jitendar Canth
Rebus
last post by mbilko

Page 1 of New desktop recommendations for machine/places to buy

PCs & Mobiles Forum

New desktop recommendations for machine/places to buy

1mills (Elite) posted this on Friday, 28th November 2008, 13:04

Basically as my computer is officially dead, I`m on the lookout for a new desktop, but currently holding out until after Christmas as thinking there should be some decent deals about after then.

Basically I don`t really do any gaming on PC except football manager so thinking the graphics card doesn`t really matter that much.

I`d also be quite happy with a machine with XP, but it seems I`ll pay more nowadays for that so looks like it will have to be Vista. Which means I will need 2/3gig RAM.

I want decent hard drive space, but the machines with massive hard drives are excessively priced, seen as you can pick up an 1TB external drive for £80 nowadays.

Also I have a 15" LCD which will do for now anyway, especially with the amount of 22" widescreen LCD`s going for around the £150 mark. I think it`s not worth getting a deal with a monitor included (but obviously am considering them, as sometimes the monitor can work out relatively cheap in those kind of deals).

Considering the above where`s the best to look for desktops etc nowadays as I`ve been looking at Dell etc and they all seem pretty pricey, as the basic units seem fairly high, but when I start specing it up to a fairly average standard it`s going up to £400 without a monitor and doesn`t even seem that good a PC really.

My old Dell one that`s just died was just over 3years old, but to be honest did everything I needed and appeared to be much better at everything than my Mum`s computer (which is technically a better computer, but due to Vista it is not).

To be honest I`d be quite happy spending around £200 for an XP machine that would do a job for a couple of years, but doesn`t seem I can get one of these. As soon as I`m going past the £200 mark and putting Vista on I`m thinking I may aswell be getting a decent machine that will last a bit more long term, but then from where I`ve been looking it appears I`ll be paying £400/500 which is pretty much just to have Vista. :/ Not fussed about Blu Ray on it as I wouldn`t use it and buying a seperate Blu Ray drive is cheap enough nowadays anyway.

So after a load of rambling, where`s good to buy desktop PC`s nowadays? :D

Obviously better to give an idea of where I`m coming from though, as otherwise it`s to point in the right direction.

www.last.fm/user/1mills

RE: New desktop recommendations for machine/places to buy

flyingmonkey (Elite) posted this on Friday, 28th November 2008, 13:08

Depending how desperate you are it may be worth waiting until Aldi does another deal.

Or you could build your own - but these days you can get good pre-built systems.

Nick

1mills (Elite) posted this on Friday, 28th November 2008, 13:13

Also without starting a new thread, if I`m going for the buying a decent machine option, are Macs that good if I`m not using it for too much?

This one at Dixons I believe is pushing the £700 mark with vouchers etc.

I can`t really tell specwise if they are any good though, as I think I`m correct in the fact that the Macs operating software etc mean they don`t need as big processors/as much RAM as Windows based machines?

Also the new mac mini/ new macs are rumoured to be announced in the new year, so thinking they could be an option or could mean a price cut in the current ones.

www.last.fm/user/1mills

1mills (Elite) posted this on Friday, 28th November 2008, 13:15

This is this weeks Aldi one from yesterday

Quote:

Here is the spec:
Processor - Intel® Core2 Quad processor Q8200 (2.33GHz, 4 MB cache, FSB 1333MHz).
RAM - 4GB DDR2-RAM, Dual Channel Mode
HDD- 1000GB hard disk (Serial ATA 2, 16 MB cache).
Graphics - NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600GT (512MB GDDR3 RAM with HDMI and DVI output).
ODD - Only specifies DVD-RAM and Dual-Layer support (shame no blu-ray)
Wireless - Wireless LAN 802.11n Draft
TV Tuner- triple-use TV tuner for analogue TV, DVB-T and DVB-S
OS - WIndsors Vista Home premium pre installed, Vista home premium 64bit included on dvd
Accessories included:
* Remote control
* Wireless multimedia keyboard
* Wireless optical scroll mouse

Tesco are doing another Medion themselves at around the same price

Quote:
Medion Q6600 3GB PC Base Unit with Blu-Ray
Catalogue number: 204-9446

Brand Medion
Bundle Contains PC base unit
Card Reader Yes
Features of Keyboard Wired with multimedia keys
Features of Mouse Wired
Graphics nVidia GeForce 9300GS
Hard Drive Size 1000GB
Hard Drive Type SATA
Memory 3GB
Number of PCI Express Ports 2x
Number of USB Ports 6x USB 2.0
Operating System Windows Vista?Home Premium
Optical Drive DVD Rewriter
Optical Drive Blu-ray Compatible Yes
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad
Processor Bus 1066MHz
Processor Cache 8MB
Processor Model Number Q6600
Processor Speed 2.4GHz
Product Depth 41 cm
Product Height 37 cm
Product Width 18 cm
Software Load MS Works 9.0 incl MS Office H S edition trial 60 days/Home Cinema 2007BD Suite/Bero Burning ROM and Recode 2SE
TV Tuner Yes
Wireless Built in No

www.last.fm/user/1mills

Mister Smee (Elite) posted this on Friday, 28th November 2008, 13:15

Quote:
To be honest I`d be quite happy spending around £200 for an XP machine that would do a job for a couple of years, but doesn`t seem I can get one of these. As soon as I`m going past the £200 mark and putting Vista on I`m thinking I may aswell be getting a decent machine that will last a bit more long term, but then from where I`ve been looking it appears I`ll be paying £400/500 which is pretty much just to have Vista.
If you go through the Dell business pages you can get an XP upgrade included in the price.

---

I miss the honky tonks, the Dairy Queens and Seven Elevens...

admars (Elite) posted this on Friday, 28th November 2008, 13:17

I would recommend Mesh, as I`m happy with my PC from them, and support I had when a hard drive broke.

they have the advantage you can buy a PC+OS no monitor keyboard etc, so if you have those already you`re not paying for something you may not need.

likewise Novatech do prebuilt system with the advantage you can buy with no OS.

As said above, the Medion PCs Aldi do often get good reviews, i think you can get them in Toys R Us and a few other places

could be a good time to buy, as places will slash prices for Christmas to be competative, and with the VAT price cut.

flyingmonkey (Elite) posted this on Friday, 28th November 2008, 14:48

Macs are a lot of money for what they are but Mac users never slag them off like PC users slag PCs off.

Nick

Miles (Elite Donator) posted this on Friday, 28th November 2008, 15:40

I`d second Smee`s advice about Dell business machines.

If you just want an XP box to do basic stuff on (no screen etc.) then they`re great value for money.
Look at the Vostro`s:
www.wizmarkcomputers.co.uk/hot-deals-dell-vostro-220.htm

"Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he`ll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett.

admars (Elite) posted this on Friday, 28th November 2008, 18:42

places like Aria also do Dells and SVP also do Dells withoutthe gumpf you may not need.

have you looked at the Dell outlet? You can get some good deals there.

Comet do baseunits only, and i think Staples do as well. Sometimes both of those have quite good in store deals

This item was edited on Friday, 28th November 2008, 18:27

1mills (Elite) posted this on Sunday, 30th November 2008, 14:47

Cheers for all the links, haven`t had time to go through them all properly so far, just been scanning through seeing what general prices/specs are.

The only problem is I`m still undecided to go for basic machine or get something decent. :/

I noticed some of them offering interest free finance which could tempt me to go for something better, but I`m a bit wary of how good a machine I really need at the moment.

Will go for a scan in Comet and Staples aswell, see what they`ve got available.

Go back to PCs & Mobiles Forum threads, or All Forum threads