RE: These any good?

Mister Smee (Elite) posted this on Monday, 1st September 2008, 15:17

They are very cute.

---
We`re on a baby hunt and don`t think
we don`t know how to weeeeeed `em out.

bytemaster (Elite) posted this on Monday, 1st September 2008, 15:28

You could get an Asus Eee for less than that, a much better unit.

Better processor, 4 times the RAM, recognised brand (with support) etc. etc. etc.

badboybez (Elite) posted this on Monday, 1st September 2008, 15:32

I`ll have a gander at the Asus Eee then.
Cheers

MADTheOgster (Elite Donator) posted this on Monday, 1st September 2008, 16:29

there are a few of these micro laptop knocking around now, the Eee pc being the most established, but also look at the MSI Wind, & the Acer one. if poss go for an Atom based unit, ultimately it comes down to what you need it to do, & how much you wanna spend, the one you linked to was probs the cheapest i`ve seen, but it is also very very underspecced & they are very vague about the cpu, & 128meg of memory is practicaly useless these days :( tbh, that unit just seems to be something thats been thrown at the Eee pc bandwagon & sold on looks not spec.

i`m angling the missus into getting me an MSI Wind for xmas ;) as a point of interest, the MSI unit is also availabe as a rebadged Advent unit for quite a lot less money than the MSI branded one.

MSI
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MSI-WIND-ATOM-Laptop-80GB-WD-hard-Drive-LED-10-NEW_W0QQitemZ230287093681QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230287093681&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
ADVENT http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/219404/?camp_id=ppc_google_long_tail_laptops_advent_netbook_4211

if your not overly bothered about the shiny piano black/ ipod white, then the advent unit is (imo) the best bang for buck, at around a hundred quid less .......

Forever <M.A.D> visit our Unreal Forum

admars (Elite) posted this on Monday, 1st September 2008, 18:17

Also some of them you get with a custom Linux, some with a version of XP. The ones you can get with either, you pay more for the xp version

badboybez (Elite) posted this on Monday, 1st September 2008, 19:41

Now i like that MSI :D
Then the Advent is picking up good reviews:- http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39030093,49298048,00.htm
And I like the fact that it has the Xp OS on it - think I`m aiming towards this Advent - £279 + bit extra off with using Quidco.
Just wish pay day would come a week early!

This item was edited on Monday, 1st September 2008, 20:52

bytemaster (Elite) posted this on Monday, 1st September 2008, 20:09

The Advent is definitely the best of the current bunch. I have had one for a couple of weeks now and it is one fun toy. :)

Swapped the wireless card for a Dell 1490 and the hdd for the guts of a WD Passport 320GB.

Now triple booting XP, Ubuntu and OSX. The best mini Mac you can get!

I did consider the Acer Aspire One which is a little bit smaller (and a smaller screen), but it is a pig to work on. You have to fully disassemble it to upgrade the RAM and the HDD models are only just becoming available. The Advent 4211/MSI Wind are childs play by comparison. Nine screws release the lower case exposing HDD, Wifi and RAM socket, two more screws and your done. Excellent screen and keyboard.

I had a quick play with an Acer this evening, it doesn`t feel as well built and there is a lot of flex on the keyboard.

This item was edited on Monday, 1st September 2008, 21:12

badboybez (Elite) posted this on Monday, 1st September 2008, 20:22

So when I get my Advent you can tell me what I need to do with it?? ;)
Can you play AVI`s on it say from a USB stick?

Rassilon (Elite) posted this on Monday, 1st September 2008, 21:12

Bit late to the party, the Asus One Aspire was £199 & still is at Currys.

* Intel Atom N270processor - Energy efficient
* Portable - 8.9" screen size & less than 1KG
* Storage - 8GB Flash Hard Drive
* Linux Lite operating system - Easy to use
* Extras - 0.3MP webcam & memory card reader

£30 more gets you a 120Gb HDD

The screen on these are really superb IMO & a better bet than the Maplin unit.

However hearing more mumbles from El Reg about price cuts\bigger batteries on the horizon, the real bummer is that I would buy one of these netbooks like a shot if I wasn`t on the verge of closing my business down\emigrating (prices may well be cheaper over there anyway).

I consider myself an optimist, albeit an optimist with cynical tendencies and a dark side that Lucifer himself would find a little creepy. (Perhaps you've noticed.) You don't normally associate cynicism with an upbeat pov. But I have exactly that combination and will defend it.

When fishermen catch dolphin-friendly tuna, how do they know which tuna are being friendly to dolphins?

This item was edited on Monday, 1st September 2008, 22:19

Go back to PCs & Mobiles Forum threads, or All Forum threads