Page 1 of Has Nero 6 disabled my dvd player?

PCs & Mobiles Forum

Has Nero 6 disabled my dvd player?

Mikeonfreeserve (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 22nd March 2006, 19:01

I installed an OEM version of Nero 6 to go with my new dvd rewriter.

Now I can`t play a dvd on my pc.

Nero 6 doesn`t support dvd playback and I would have to buy a plug in which I don`t want to do.

I had Power DVD installed and Cyber lInk but neither of those players will work now.

Has Nero fiddled with the egistry or something?

Does anyone know of free dvd player software to download that might work?

Thanks

RE: Has Nero 6 disabled my dvd player?

MikeElliot (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 22nd March 2006, 22:13

Does it not work when you open PowerDVD and WinDVD and right click to play the DVD? If it does then Nero may have reset your autoplay settings (although it`s unusual that it has done this). Autoplay is easily reset from Device Manager.

If autoplay is on then it looks like the DVD codecs have become corrupted and I don`t think Nero has done this. The fix is to reinstall WinDVD and PowerDVD again.

Robert Terwilliger (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 23rd March 2006, 23:47

I had the exact same problem after instaling nero 6 on my PC, media player and power dvd both refused to play dvd`s (I also got an error message about `security violation` when I tried to play dvd`s through media player but I forget what it said exactly ..) after a quick google using the error code in the search, I found the problem mentioned on quite a few message boards along with a solution ....but I cant remember what it was lol...it did involve changing a setting, I remember that much

not a lot of help I know but if I remember I`ll post it (if your also getting the error about a security violation, try doing a google with the error code)

"If I had time....and a hammer, I`d track down every bootleg copy and smash it........"
- George Lucas

My DVD collection

This item was edited on Thursday, 23rd March 2006, 23:48

Mikeonfreeserve (Elite) posted this on Friday, 24th March 2006, 06:52

Yes, Robert, that`s what happens when I try tp play a dvd in media player.

I`ll try googling the erroer code.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Robert Terwilliger (Elite) posted this on Friday, 24th March 2006, 21:06

Ive been looking everywhere for the scrap of paper Ive written what I did on in case I had to do it again after a system reboot but I cant find it, but after a bit of poking about Ive kinda remembered what I did.....

Im not one for messing about in folders where Im not too sure what Im doing so I was a lil cautious when I found this solution on a message board and changed it, so I wrote down what Id changed so I could change it back again lol but from what I can remember it was something like this...

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter and a change to the `Nevideo` filename, I forget what it was origionally but it was changed to Nevideo.xxx.ax

This solved all my playback problems

"If I had time....and a hammer, I`d track down every bootleg copy and smash it........"
- George Lucas

My DVD collection

Mikeonfreeserve (Elite) posted this on Saturday, 25th March 2006, 06:41

Robert, a thousand thanks!

Yes, I found the file and just added "xxx" into the file name and, bingo, Windows Media Player is playing my dvds again.

It seems this is not an uncommon problem.

You are a brave man to poke about like that!

But Thanks again.

Mike.

Robert Terwilliger (Elite) posted this on Saturday, 25th March 2006, 09:07

No worries...

Yeah I was a lil worried about changing things when I wasnt at all sure what I was doing but I thought what the hell...it was doing my head in that all my dvd`s refused to play so I figured I had nothing to lose

I did this a few months ago now and have had no problems since, Im sure if it was gonna mess something up it would have happened by now :D and yeah it does seem to be a common problem. When I was looking there was no solution on the microsoft site or the nero FAQ`s and help pages, there may be something on one of the sites now to download if its a recognised fault that lots of folks have reported

- George Lucas

My DVD collection

Go back to PCs & Mobiles Forum threads, or All Forum threads