Page 1 of DVD-Ram to DVD-R help

PCs & Mobiles Forum

DVD-Ram to DVD-R help

pat-w (Elite) posted this on Monday, 13th December 2004, 18:14

I did ask this in another post on the hardware forum, but still not clear about the answer.

Can I just do a straight forward DVD-Ram disc to DVD-R disc copy, using something like Nero Express?

I`ve ordered a dvd-rom drive that can read the ram discs, just waiting for it to arrive
Thanks

RE: DVD-Ram to DVD-R help

hotmetal (Harmless) posted this on Tuesday, 14th December 2004, 17:48

I find the best way to do this is to use a piece of software called womble. This will read the dvd-ram file, enable you edit it if you wish and produce a dvd compatible file. This can be burnt using nero but this will want to re-render it so the best way is to use something like TMPEG dvd creator to burn to disk. Hope this helps

dayspring (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Tuesday, 14th December 2004, 23:25

To Pat-w I should be able to help you out with a brillant site which I found recently about backing up my DVD`s to DVD-R which provides free software which is fantastic to 1) rip part or all the DVD (9Gb) to (4.7GB) disks including menu options and 2) burn it to DVD-R (4.7GB) with experts on line (ie other users) helping you with any problems.

The links are saved on my works computer so will put the www`s on tomorrow.

And you won`t need nero to burn it either.

At last I can contribut to the forum for all the hep it has give me over the last year.

Regards
Dayspring

dayspring (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Wednesday, 15th December 2004, 22:40

Right then
Befor I start use good quality DVD-R I use Verbitan "Data life" cheap disks will end up as toasters.

I use two software that are both freeware from a site called afterdawn.com (brilliant for all your download/software needs) Go along the top and find forums, scroll down and look for "DVD±R - DVD Shrink forum"

Firstley I use a program called DVD Shrink (size under 3Mb) and it does what it says it does it shrinks a 9Gb DVD to 4.37Gb. You can either copy the whole disk or pick and choose the parts you want ie. copy the main movies and leave off the extras, different laugues, sub titles etc and specialy the (DTS sound that will take up about 500Mb) 2.1 channel etc. Just leave the 5.1 channel sound and english subtitles.

But if you want the whole disk then shrink acts a bit like WinZip and compress the movie. You should loose a bit of quality but you don`t notice it.

Shrink uses nero as its default burner but I use DVD Decripter (sie under 1Mb) to burn the movie. You can use this to copy and burn the movie if you want but Shrink is so user friendly my children could use it.

the links to the download and user guide for Shrink is
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

the links to the download and user guide for Decripter is
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr.cfm

Read the guids look at the forum and you will see a whole new world of DVD-R and new friends

If you have any problems get back to me through this message and I will try and help you out.

Good Luck!

Dayspring

pat-w (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 15th December 2004, 23:56

dayspring, thanks for taking the time to post
I do have both DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter already installed on my PC, use them both for dvd backups for my portable dvd player. I asked here on another post is i could use DVD Shrink for dvd-ram discs & was told Shrink wouldn`t read the disc (See that post here) Thank you anyway

hotmetal, thanks for the info, I appreciate it

My LG drive arrives tomorrow, can`t wait to give it a try!

This item was edited on Thursday, 16th December 2004, 00:02

Hubee (Harmless) posted this on Tuesday, 4th January 2005, 17:02

Hi pat-w

I think I am in the same boat - Panny recorder and LG DVD drive - and I haven`t successfully copied a DVD-RAM to DVD-R yet. I`m sure the recommendations given (Womble &c) are sound, but I am reluctant to spend another £100 on software just to do a simple copy task. Please let me know how you got on.

This item was edited on Tuesday, 4th January 2005, 17:04

pat-w (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 4th January 2005, 19:24

I bit the bullet, went to Richer Sounds & got a dvd player that plays DVD-Ram discs.
Not even opened it yet. It cost £40
Link Here

MicoMan (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 6th January 2005, 00:31

I have the E50 and an LG writer as well. I use Mpeg-Vcr and Tmpgenc DVD Author.

You can just use Tmpgenc DVD Author which will copy the video files from a ram disc to your hard drive and also allows you to do some basic editing ( cut out adverts in programs) and then burn a DVD with a nice menu.

The extra DVD player in an option but it would convert the Digital video to an analogue format and back to digital again and so not give as good a transfer as the all digital way on a PC.

A trial version is available here - http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html with the full version available for $68 ( under £50?)

Hubee (Harmless) posted this on Thursday, 6th January 2005, 17:10

Thanks folks. Lot of sympathy for your approach Pat - cut the Gordian knot and just do simple copies between machines. Let me know how you get on and whether quality is OK.
I`ll try out the Tmpgenc as with current exchange rates its probably under £40 so slightly cheaper than buying a bog-standard DVD player. And it means I won`t regret buying that DVD writer...

pat-w (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 18th January 2005, 01:46

Quote:
Let me know how you get on and whether quality is OK

Just got round to trying to copy an edited ram disc playing of the Panasonic DVDS27-
very pleased with the result.
Glad I did it this way, & I can still copy the finished dvd-r on my PC if I want a copy for someone else. :)
Of course, it now means I have 3 players under the telly instead of one, but what the hell, it works OK.
(The 3 are the Panasonic DVDS27 ram disc player, a Panasonic DMRE55 dvd recorder plus a multi region JVC that I couldn`t bear to part with- plus a Sky box, a freeview box, a PS2 & a VCR)
I suppose I could put the ram player away till I want to copy a disc, but I`m far too lazy to do that ;)

Go back to PCs & Mobiles Forum threads, or All Forum threads