Page 1 of Philips 610 DVD Recorder for £99.99

Bargain Buckets Forum

Philips 610 DVD Recorder for £99.99

bargainhunt (Competent) posted this on Saturday, 4th September 2004, 22:53

This is not a misprint. Sainsburys have just taken delivery in tha last few days and I took advantage.

I popped into Sainsburys at Hempstead Valley (Gillingham) to find the Mico refurbished machine. I saw they had one at £84.99 - great. Now would they have one in stock. As I looked over the models they had in I saw the new Philips machine and saw the price, followed by out of stock. Just my luck. I spoke to the guy there and he said he was aware the price was well over £200 but he had sold a few models. Could he reserve me one - no, but he could phone round. Went to custoemr services and they called the Aylesford branch. In stock and reserved on - at £99.99 I was tempted to get two.

Anyone. the two branches had it at £99.99, so be quick before they update the computer. If you miss out, you could get the refurbished model for £15 less (Mico), but my new Philips looks good (RGB in/out) etc, and free DVD+RW to boot. If I doubled the money, the Panny E55 would win, but under £100 (and 5p off per litre), thank you very much Sainsburys.

DVin seems to be the missing connection on this basic machine, but I have no camcorder so not really fussed. My only gripe was the Sainsbury Visa card does not seem to give you a free year warranty like my Nationwide card did (did as I just cancelled due to DVD Pacific issue).

This item was edited on Sunday, 5th September 2004, 17:53

RE: Philips 610 DVD Recorder for £99.99

MrBenn (Competent) posted this on Sunday, 5th September 2004, 18:50

Hi,

Took your advice and went to S/Bury`s (Aylesford) this morning (straight from work), got there for 10am, straight to the Electrical section to find only the display model left.
Spoke to the young chap who said they`d get some more in Thur/Fri???? I asked if I could have the display model and after a bit of uming and arhhing he said yes and even gave me a 10% discount (for display model)!!!!!! Result.
Got the free DVD+RW disk and filled the car up using the -5p per litre. then back home to bed.
Haven`t had time to set it up yet (woke up and back to work again) but will post my thoughts etc later.

Thanks for the tip off.

imghttp://www.printchk.demon.co.uk/jpg/mrben1.jpgimg

bargainhunt (Competent) posted this on Sunday, 5th September 2004, 20:56

Big steal - chap in Hempstead Valley told me they may get delivery Tue or Thurs.

Display model price is ridiculous - they have only had stocks 3 or 4 days apparently. Next thing is to find cheap enough discs. Few threads elsewhere suggest the Philips disc are not that good. Have had no problems with Imation (advertised at around £25 for a cake of 25) in RW form.

Now my only other worry is to get rid of the video and DVD from under the TV. Now ready for the new season of Spooks...

Rassilon (Elite) posted this on Sunday, 5th September 2004, 22:38

Quote:
Now ready for the new season of Spooks...

Theres a new series of Spooks?....... :D

clayts (Elite) posted this on Sunday, 5th September 2004, 23:00

Early Autumn

===========================

Clayts, Moderator, DVD Reviewer
UK webmaster for Area 450 the independent Sampo/Maxent DVD site

Please sign up here to get the FX289 channel on NTL/Telewest for old repeats of NYPD Blue and X Files - thanks !

BigAde (Competent) posted this on Monday, 6th September 2004, 15:52

Thanks for the post bargainhunt.
Just picked me up one!

Great spot.

bargainhunt (Competent) posted this on Tuesday, 7th September 2004, 19:26

Someone must have picked up a pair - two already on Ebay from £99.99, but may cost you up to £180. Still, seems to be the cheapest recorder on the market. Still awaiting the multi region hack update (must be one) and best discs for the machine. The TDKs in MVC (25 cake) and Shaun of the Dead will set me back £30 which must be reasonable in any ones money. Currently using Imation discs which I had over from my first venture into DVD recorders. This is quite a bit different from the Grundig but browsing discs, protecting areas, deleting simple enough.

Skyking_comms (Harmless) posted this on Tuesday, 7th September 2004, 20:42

Im hoping someone can help me. Ive been trying to set the 610 recorder up with my TV and cable box for the last couple of nights without much luck. Starting to drive me mad! I have a Daewoo 28" Widescreen TV with two scart sockets. Only other connection on the back is an aerial socket. My Telewest Cable box also has two scart sockets. Ive connected the cable box into the TV by scart lead. The 610 into the tv by scart lead, then the cable box into the 610 by scart lead. 3 scart leads have been used. Going by the manual I connected them by the way it said. I got no signal message appear on the 610. I then swapped the scart leads over on the back of my TV. I got a signal, but the picture on the TV is green, only half appears on the screen and then moves to the one side. I thought it could be the scart leads. Got some gold plated ones today.. no different. I decided to try other combinations with the scart leads. I have got the 610 to accept a picture from ext 2 which is the cable box, but then i cant get any on screen menu. Ive also found if i turn either the tv off or cable box, then turn them on again the 610 only recognises ext 1 which is the tv. By turning the 610 off then on again it recognises ext 2. None of the above are any use to me. All i want is to get my cable box working through the 610 with the menu to appear on the screen so i can record.
Are the scart sockets at the back of my TV different? Has anybody got any ideas on what i might try next?. I feel like throwing the DVD recorder out of the window at the moment.

bigkahunas (Competent) posted this on Wednesday, 8th September 2004, 05:06

I`ve only read the first few lines of your previous post, asking for help, here`s what i got stuck on:

After wiring mine up (what i thought correctly) - i couldn`t get mine off EXT1 which i *THOUGHT* was SCART.

this is what each is:
EXT1 = Antenna (Co-ax)
EXT2 = Scart
CAM1 = Audio / Visual connections on the front,

To change to EXT2 - you need to press the up/down cursors on the remote.
These are what the manual calls "channels" (sources would have been a better word imo)

I sat there for about 4 hrs before deciding to press the "up" key on the remote and hey, it all worked once i swapped to EXT2 lol

This item was edited on Wednesday, 8th September 2004, 06:00

brian hughes (Harmless) posted this on Wednesday, 8th September 2004, 12:19

I have just been informed of this offer by a friens called Nik. Phoned a few places in Coventry with no luck, however my lad is playing golf in Bedford today so I thought I would give them a call. Yes they have three in stock at £99. he has just collected 2 so there is one left if you are interested

Go back to Bargain Buckets Forum threads, or All Forum threads