Beetlejuice Beetlejuice
last post by Snaps
The Pie Thread!
last post by Jitendar Canth

Page 1 of I Got The Blu-ray Blues...

DVDs & Films Forum

I Got The Blu-ray Blues...

Mark Oates (Reviewer) posted this on Tuesday, 8th July 2008, 02:28

After all that palaver with the format war, you`d think that the Studios would be rushing out product to entice consumers into going Blu, wouldn`t you?

I`ve just been looking at the Blu-ray release slate over at Play, and between now and Xmas, there`s absolutely nothing announced that I`d consider picking up.

I`m sure folks with different tastes will probably be looking forward to a title or two, but I`m shocked at the lack of recent big-name titles. I`m also surprised there`s at least one high-profile family title (Spiderwick) which is out next week on SD DVD, but will be the first of September for its Blu-ray debut.

I thought the second half of this year was going to be the feeding frenzy for Blu-ray from what the Studios were saying directly after Toshiba signed the armistice.

Maybe its another one of those Region A deals - concentrate on the domestic US market and screw the rest of the world.

J Mark Oates

The Sprocketeer
My latest blog: Sick Of The Dark Knight?
sprockethole.myreviewer.com

RE: I Got The Blu-ray Blues...

badboybez (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 8th July 2008, 07:24

Feel the same at the mo - keep looking at Movietyme hoping to see a decent region free title - but nothing there either :/
Just waiting for Iron Man / Hulk 2 / and I suppose Hancock but that ain`t gonna be for quite a while.
Though did just get `There Will Be Blood` which deserves a re watch after last seeing it at the cinema.
About time the Lucas machine stuck our Star Wars and Indy on the new format. Cos I`d have to buy them again BASTARD :D

This item was edited on Tuesday, 8th July 2008, 08:27

Mister Smee (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 8th July 2008, 08:49

Ha ha ha...I miss read the title as "I Got The Blu-ray Cases..."

Still haven`t bought myself a Blu-ray title. Probably won`t till the prices drop to about a tenner.

---
We`re on a baby hunt and don`t think
we don`t know how to weeeeeed `em out.

David Beckett (Reviewer) posted this on Tuesday, 8th July 2008, 09:02

If I had a Blu-ray player, I`d go out and buy Diary of the Dead, There Will Be Blood, The Orphanage and The Assassination of Jesse James and that`s without looking at any of the charts. There`s always the Attenbrough stuff and double-dipping on the Pixar films, Blade Runner and Pan`s Labyrinth etc.

Site reviewer for DVD Reviewer and MyReviewer.com

My DVD Collection

This item was edited on Tuesday, 8th July 2008, 10:22

Ben Franklin (Reviewer) posted this on Tuesday, 8th July 2008, 09:04

There`s quite a few things I want to pick up, but I can`t as of yet justify the price tags for most of them. So I`m just waiting for a few sales, and a slight price drop, before dipping in too much.

"Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - Bob Loblaw
DVD Reviewer News Hound

chewie (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 8th July 2008, 10:10

Yeah, I`ve noticed Blu-Ray is a bit weak at the moment. I bought the HD DVD add-on for the Xbox thanks to firesales, and for £70 I have a player and nearly 20 films, which satisfies my HD needs. I`ll probably go Blu before the end of the year mind...

handsome.b.wonderful (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 8th July 2008, 11:43

I`m in the same boat as Chewie. Over the last few months I have built up my HD-DVD collection to nearly 50 titles as most HD-DVDs are now being sold off for about 5 or 6 euro. For anyone on a budget and looking to get into the HD movie experience I`d still recommend going the HD-DVD route... you can still pick up a good Toshiba HD player (which is also an excellent SD upscaler) for next to nothing these days.

When BluRay players and discs come down in price then I`ll dip my toe... but until then I`ll be happily watching The Matrix, Planet Earth, The Adventures of Robin Hood, King Kong, Blade Runner, The Searchers, etc in stunning HD on my 140 incher... and all for a fraction of the cost of BluRay :-)

Gareth Williams (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 8th July 2008, 11:50

You could always download some HDTV rips... Lord Of The Rings and Star Wars in HD ;)

Mark Oates (Reviewer) posted this on Tuesday, 8th July 2008, 13:34

Like I said, David, folks with different tastes might think differently. TBH, none of the titles you suggested appeal to me but then none of the titles I`ve bought so far would float your boat, I suspect.

I think that anyone coming into Blu-ray could probably pick between ten and fifteen titles that appealed to them, but then they`d run out of options both currently on the catalogue and upcoming.

I think what`s needed is for the Studios to get some of the summer blockbuster titles announced well in advance - stuff coming out in Q42008 - to give punters something to look forward to and create some interest.

J Mark Oates

The Sprocketeer
My latest blog: Sick Of The Dark Knight?
sprockethole.myreviewer.com

Navs (Competent) posted this on Tuesday, 8th July 2008, 15:32

Yeah I second the Indi trilogy as well as Star Wars.
Titles I`d like to see released on Bluray would also include:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Gladiator
Toy Story
the Shrek movies

and personally I` like to see Star Trek Voyager released on BD- that would be so cool.

I aint holding my breath though :¦

Go back to DVDs & Films Forum threads, or All Forum threads