Any experience of this 100hz set?
It certainly looks the part and is going for £665 online and £800
at certain high street store.

Thanks

Jason

liam[at]moc.swehttamnosaj

RE: THOMSON 32WF45 Widescreen TV

dcb01 (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Thursday, 24th January 2002, 19:27

Jason I purchased said model through comet at the beginning of the month. Told sold out at the store in Tottenham and none were available in the warehouse that covers north London yet that very night phoned their order line and was told I could have one and over 400 were showing on their computer. I wonder when these companys are going to get their act together and stop boring us the consumer with their hard sell extended warrenty act(not to say it may not be worth it after paying big monies) but it appears all they are interested in is their commission not what they are selling you.

So far it has done all that I expected and has lived up to what little info I can find on it (Thomson-Europe web site is crap) .I am viewing it through a sky digibox with an old but great Video JVC (HRJ415) and a Samsung 709 DVD in one of the three scart sockets (I believe only 2 are rgb). One thing I would say is that you either have a good picture or you don’t have such a good one, this is the norm I gather from all these 100hzt no matter what model as read in various forums.
In all I am pleased that I chose this model and saved myself a few hundred but it does not appear that many have followed and done the same (Is it the British hang up about the French I wonder)? On the down side the only problem I have found is that I cant seem to get the original sky remote to control the Thomson no matter what code I use either from their literature or from sky or “Sathelps” web page (must be me). Hope the above helps you to make the right choice

beastman (Harmless) posted this on Friday, 25th January 2002, 21:22

thanks for your reply dcb01

Can I ask you a further question?

Mark on the uk.media.home-cinema newsgroup stated that this TV may not have the non-linear stretch mode for watching 4:3 material. I understand this mode mostly stretches the outer edges of the 4:3 screen rather than the whole image. Can you confirm that this unit can only stretch 4:3 images evenly and if so does this look poor?

Thanks alot

Jason

liam[at]moc.swehttamnosaj

link: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=bda5d17e90dbf336

dcb01 (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Sunday, 27th January 2002, 00:37

Jason i`m afraid i`m not going to be much use to you on this point regarding the format, being a newbee etc. I made up my mind by looking at a channel in comet (not the best set up) but lucky one of the channels was coming in strong and then compared it to an other that was in the price range I was after. You could always ring Thomson on 0845 601 3093(local rate) and they should be able to advise.As I stated before the sales people are proberly not the best to ask about this as I would not be surprised if they know as little as myself.What little the instruction book did say was with reference to the zoom function which is below...

(ZOOM 0) 4/3 picture(black strips at the sides)

(ZOOM 1) for pictures in letterbox centred on the screen(without sub-titles).

(ZOOM 1 yes again) for pictures in letterbox offset to see sub-titles.

(CINERAMA) 4/3 picture filling the screen.

Hope this helps, lucky at two comet stores I visited before buying the remotes are around so if you can shake the leech(sales person) you can have a mess around.

Go back to Hardware Forum threads, or All Forum threads