Page 1 of Newbie to DVD recorders needs help please

Hardware Forum

Newbie to DVD recorders needs help please

Lyn2012 (Harmless) posted this on Thursday, 30th November 2006, 22:30

Hi there, I`ve just bought a cheap DVD recorder from Argos (Funai DR-A3835) mainly with the aim of archiving my old videos to dvd. At the moment I am just trying to get the recorder working and am having problems so any help would be appreciated.

I have terrestrial TV only, an old TV with only 1 scart socket (I have got a switch box that enables me to switch betwen my old VRC and DVD player). At the moment I have disconnected the vcr and DVD player, I have the coax from aerial going into the new recorder, a cable coming out of the recorder into the TV aerial input and a scart cable (supplied with the new recorder) going from the AV1 of recorder to directly to the TV. I haven`t even tried to record yet but have found that when the recorder is switched on and the TV is switched to the recorder`s input the picture is fine but when I then change channel on the TV (i.e. as I would if I were recording one channel while watching another), the picture just starts scrolling from side to side and the channel doesn`t change. I can`t believe it is the TV as when I try doing the same thing with my original DVD player or VCR it behaves perfectly. I have tried changing the scart cable around but it makes no difference. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

This item was edited on Thursday, 30th November 2006, 22:32

RE: Newbie to DVD recorders needs help please

Rassilon (Elite) posted this on Friday, 1st December 2006, 00:43

A lot of it sounds like a combination of set up & possibly Pin 19 on the SCART socket to me. There`s possibly a element of the SCART socket taking over control (pin 08 ) if I recall correctly that may require disabling in software or physically.

IQuote:
am connected up via SCART leads to my Sky box and TV & there is a faint ghosting scrolling across the TV screen during viewing and recording.

Some outside device will be interfering, switch it off as a temp solution & get a good SCART lead with individually shielded cables. Alternatively disconnect pin 19 from the SCART lead (as it is looping back a video signal into your DVD player from SKY or VCR ). Dismantle one end & prise out Pin 19, tape over with insulation tape & leave it located inside the plug as you reassemble.

Quote:
If you do not get a picture on your unit, fit the lead the other way about.

I consider myself an optimist, albeit an optimist with cynical tendencies and a dark side that Lucifer himself would find a little creepy. (Perhaps you've noticed.) You don't normally associate cynicism with an upbeat pov. But I have exactly that combination and will defend it.

Seeking to surpass yesterdays target of unprecedented level of unverifable productivity.

This item was edited on Friday, 1st December 2006, 00:46

Lyn2012 (Harmless) posted this on Friday, 1st December 2006, 08:54

Thanks for the input however, I have no other outside devices plugged in and the instructions specifically state to use the supplied scart lead not any other one for the connection between recorder and TV (why I`ve no idea). As I may end up returning the unit I do not want to start dismantling the scart lead and I`ve already tried connecting it the other way around. Any more suggestions please?
Oh yes, the instructions also say that the recorder does not have a rf modulator - could this have something to do with it?

This item was edited on Friday, 1st December 2006, 09:16

Rassilon (Elite) posted this on Friday, 1st December 2006, 10:51

It does with the cold light of day & less beer in my system, that the output of the recorder is on the same channel as one of your terriestrial channels.

Is it the same on all channels or just one?

I consider myself an optimist, albeit an optimist with cynical tendencies and a dark side that Lucifer himself would find a little creepy. (Perhaps you've noticed.) You don't normally associate cynicism with an upbeat pov. But I have exactly that combination and will defend it.

Seeking to surpass yesterdays target of unprecedented level of unverifable productivity.

Lyn2012 (Harmless) posted this on Friday, 1st December 2006, 14:44

It`s on every channel, I only have terrestrial analogue TV. I can watch via the recorder but when I switch the TV from scart input to its normal channel 1-5 input, all I get is a scrolling picture of whatever is on the scart input.

Go back to Hardware Forum threads, or All Forum threads