[VIDEO] Star Wars: The Acolyte
last post by Pete-MK
The Responder
last post by admars

Page 1 of Medion MD42167 Portable DVD

Hardware Forum

Medion MD42167 Portable DVD

Pete R (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Monday, 22nd November 2004, 15:49

Has anyone bought or tried the Medion MD42167 portable DVD player/TFT screen on sale in Toys R Us? At £149.99 inc lithium-ion battery, car power cable, AV cable, car mounting bag/carry case, ear phone, remote and mains power supply, it seems a bargain. It also features AV in (not very common), so you can always hook up a games console.
Can`t find any info on it, Google just turns up the Toys R Us site and I`ve even tried the Medion German site (with a bit of Bable Fish), but the player is not even listed.
I`d buy one, but if its no good, Toys R Us don`t have an xx day returns policy - they will only take back unopened, untried goods or something that`s faulty :( .

Any had any experience with one?

Cheers, Pete.

RE: Medion MD42167 Portable DVD

moviemonster. (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Monday, 22nd November 2004, 22:07

Bought one today . There is no info on the web regarding this I,ve looked everywhere .
Emailed 5 people from the dvd hacks forum asking the same thing and had no replys .

Here`s what I know so far .

7" widescreen looked ok on the demo in store .
Plays dvd cd vcd dvd-r dvd+r
remote hackable with code found on this site .
Has in and out av connectability getting one of those sonic handheld thingy`s from argos
comes with car power adapter headphones carry/car case and 2hr battery

hope this helps i will let you know more as soon as I have tryed it out .

There was about ten slips to take the till and about an hour later there was only 2 left .
It may become hard to find in stock nearer to christmas as this it the best deal i could find next to the venturer 6.5" at argos .

moviemonster. (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Tuesday, 23rd November 2004, 10:12

Checked It out now . This is a great bit of kit for the price .
Can confirm the following .

7" widescreen with 8 different zoom functions Screen Quality was a delight and handled picture movement superbly .
Upto 32x speed on FFW - RWD .
Stereo sound and headphones inc .
Plays DVD / CD / DVD-R / DVD+R / DVD-RW / DVD+RW / VCD
Used the multiregion hack and worked first time . will now play any region .
Remote control slimline complete with battery
AV - IN & OUT connection with switch ( can connect to larger tv or connect games console / camcorder to the portable screen )
Battery 3hrs fully charged . ( charge time 4 hrs ) This is great value as most other portable dvd players I have looked at their battery`s last around 2 or 2.5 hrs
Power lead inc .
Car Cigarette lighter conection Inc .
Carry Case with 2 compartments . 1 for the dvd player and the other for all leads .
Carry Case doubles up as in-car kit with straps inc . for the headrest .
Battery it the whole size of the dvd unit and connects underneath the dvd player .

This is a great bit of kit from Toys R us and I can highly recomend it . For £149.99 it comes with a lot of kit . As I said in my earlier post I can honestly see this being a good seller this christmas and may become difficult to find in stores nearer to christmas .

The battery will require charging before use I would be interested to know wether I could charge the battery now then wrap it up for xmas or would it be better to charge the battery christmas eve and wrap it up then . Any thoughts on this would be helpful .

Pete R (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Tuesday, 23rd November 2004, 10:39

Thanks for that Moviemonster, I`ll be heading down at lunchtime to pick one up. It sounds too good to miss. Guess I`ll need to buy some DVD`s now ;-) (this will be my first player - have my sights on a Liteon 5006 also).

I`d have thought that the barrery (Li) should keep it`s charge until Xmas, but I don`t suppose there`s any harm giving it a top-up charge Xmas eve as no memory efect with LI.

Cheers, Pete.

Pete R (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Wednesday, 24th November 2004, 11:02

Ended up buying 2!! Should stop the inevitable squabbling later on (though little `un is only 4 months at the moment) - well, that`s my excuse!!

moviemonster. (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Wednesday, 24th November 2004, 11:59

Good stuff ! Get yourself that dvd recorder you mentioned and you can put all the kids tv on disc .

Just noticed on the bargain forum lite-on LVW5005 £119 ARGOS plus £10 off voucher if you spend over £100 .

This item was edited on Wednesday, 24th November 2004, 12:04

jazto (Harmless) posted this on Wednesday, 24th November 2004, 12:01

I bought this portable DVD about a month ago for my kids to use in the car. So far it`s been great, gives no problems and I think for the price it`sgreat value. You wont be sorry if you buy one. If you dont know the hack its #1379.

moviemonster. (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Wednesday, 24th November 2004, 12:07

Thanks jazto . Picked this up this week for my boy for christmas . Used the hack no probs .

Can you tell me how good the battery is does it last 3 hrs ? and how long have you been charging it for . Any help would be great .

earlofmuon (Harmless) posted this on Thursday, 25th November 2004, 13:26

Jazto

Sorry to sound uneducated in these matters but I have seen this DVD in Toys R Us and
my lad wants one for Xmas. Please can you explain what is and why you need the hack and some laymans instructions to follow for setting.

Many thanks

jazto (Harmless) posted this on Thursday, 25th November 2004, 13:48

You can see all the specifications from the other posts. As I said its well worth the money and your kids will love it. You need the hack as at the moment you can only play DVDs from Region 2 (UK, Europe). If you want to play DVDs bought abroad ie. Region 1 (USA) etc. you have to make sure no disc is in the player, using the remote control press the "Set-Up" button and advance to the far right-hand tab "Preferences", enter code #1379 then use the "up and down" arrows to change the region to the code of your DVD. Once code is chosen press enter and it will be ready to play.

Go back to Hardware Forum threads, or All Forum threads