Latest Forum Posts

Page 1 of Westy - another Aego 5 question . . .

Hardware Forum

Westy - another Aego 5 question . . .

rainbow6 (Competent) posted this on Wednesday, 29th October 2003, 10:36

Westy,
Got a question on the thread here:

I`m curious now! As you know from my emails a while back, I`m looking into buying a new system, smallish speakers and the like, good for music and film. The Mordaunt Short Premiers were some I`d shortlisted. How, in your opinion, are the Aego 5`s better?
What are the pros and cons of a speaker system like this, in contrast to a traditional one that is not all connected through the sub? I know there`s a new Premier Plus version coming out - any thoughts?

Others speakers I`m considering are the new KEF eggs, Canton CD1`s, and if I can persuade my wife (but have very little chance because of space) the Monitor Audio B2AV or B2AV1 pack (I`m not sure I can cope with the look of the BFX rears - so I know my wife won`t).

My concern with the KEF eggs was the ability of the centre speaker for dialogue, and my concern with the MA B2 packs are, as I mentioned, size - and colour (its a wife thing). How do the MS packs, the Eggs, Cantons, MA and the Aego 5`s stack up? I`ve not heard the MA speakers, the Cantons or the Aego`s, and I have no facility to do so here in Belfast. I`m looking for something that would be good with music and movies at these price points.

Also, if in your mind the Aegos are the top system out of my shortlist, is it worth waiting for the new ones in Feb?

Thanks,
Jim

This item was edited on Wednesday, 29th October 2003, 10:37

RE: Westy - another Aego 5 question . . .

Westy (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 29th October 2003, 18:35

Jim

Hiya mate - apologies for not getting back RE you set up, but i will before the weekend, the emails have been coming thick and fast!!

Anyways, Jim, you simply MUST find a place to listen to the Aego`s in action! They are simply some of the best sub/sat speakers ever made and are able to put even full size designs to shame with their superb sound quality.

Now, the reason for the MS Premiers not sounding so hot with the Marantz may have somthing to do with their stiffer than usual 4ohm impedance, which means the Marantz would`ve had to be pushed a little harder to make the most of them. The Yamaha you listened to sounded good cause the sattelites it was connected to are very low powered and would only need fresh air to get the cones moving!! They`re also very easy to drive being so cheap, and are manufactured for home cinema and little else, so the sound is over flattered.

Please Jim, ignore the MS Premiers - i personally think they sound total cack, but that`s my opinion :) For value and overall sound quality you should get the shortlist down to the Aego`s and the Kef Eggs, (where domestic harmony is concerned). If you want a louder, more powerful sound, then the Kef Eggs are brilliant, (though go for the new MK2 versions with the upgraded sub), and don`t worry about that centre speaker - it handles the dialogue superbly, centre speakers are only made in a horizontal array to look better on a tv, the benefits of using a standard, full range speaker identical to the front left/right units is a massive leap in quality believe me, so don`t be misguided by the magazine speak ;)

And then, you`re left with the baby Aego`s. If your wife isn`t happy with the size of these then you may as well give up on the home cinema idea, (no offence!! ;) ), as these are as small as your fist and yet can go as loud as you like before your ears, (rather than the speakers), give in. It`s important to remember though, that the sub isn`t the deepest and can sometimes sound a little ruffled at higher volumes, so mating it with a dedicated, active sub such as the MJ Acoustics Pro 50/100 or Rel Quake will ensure the low end gets covered too.

Hope this helps, i`ll be sending you a more in depth email over the weekend Jim, hope you`ve got plenty of time!!

Cheers

Westy

Site Technical Help Editor and Moderator

Home Cinema Editor - Area450

My YMDB favourite list

My DVD Profiler list

Got a Question? Enter the mind of Westy

Send Nochex/Paypal to; 2TSEWD[at]TEN.EGNARO

rainbow6 (Competent) posted this on Thursday, 30th October 2003, 10:43

Westy,
Thanks for your thoughts mate. I look forward to your email this weekend - I figured the delay was because you`re inbox was pretty overflowing - no worries! :)
OK, I`ll reduce the shortlist to the Eggs and the Aegos. Just wondering if you could mention in your email - or on this thread for anyone else interested, the relative pros and cons with going for a system like the Aegos which all plugs into the sub, etc. and works off the pre-outs of the amp as opposed to the normal sub sat system? I.e. - if upgradeitis sets in, or - as you`ve already mentioned here - if you want to get a different sub?? And how good/worth waiting for will that new Aego speaker setup be that comes out in Feb (minus the processor). And how does that work - adding a different sub to the system?
By the way - have you heard the JM Labs Sib and Cubs? I see that Creative Audio is selling them sort of in competition against the KEF eggs. Is one better than the other?
Thanks again! :D (And sorry for all the questions . . .)
Jim

This item was edited on Thursday, 30th October 2003, 10:45

sagmona (Harmless) posted this on Tuesday, 4th November 2003, 14:04

Hi Westy,

I find myself in a similiar situation to Jim and would be interested in any comments that you may have. If I understand correctly there`s a mk2 of Aego5 out in Feb, I think I would prefer to wait for that - any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sag

Westy (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 5th November 2003, 19:32

Hello guys

I`m gonna be putting up a new article next week detailing the best sub/sat systems money can buy. The Aego is indeed due for replacement next year but the current system still shines so bright others can`t touch it for sound quality.

It really is the dogs!

Rainbow, i haven`t forgotten about you son, been ill but i`m on the mend so email will be with you soon as promised! ;)

Westy

Site Technical Help Editor and Moderator

Home Cinema Editor - Area450

My YMDB favourite list

My DVD Profiler list

Got a Question? Enter the mind of Westy

Send Nochex/Paypal to; 2TSEWD[at]TEN.EGNARO

rainbow6 (Competent) posted this on Thursday, 6th November 2003, 09:51

Westy,
No probs, mate. I`ve been coughing up a lung myself lately. Looking forward to your email - and your next article. ;)
Cheers,
Jim

rainbow6 (Competent) posted this on Monday, 17th November 2003, 09:57

Westy,
Hope you`re better now. I`ve sent you an email with some of my latest thoughts for a new set up. I`d love to hear what you think. Forgot to mention in it that music and film are important to me as, I stated above (though I`m no HiFi junkie). As well as to mention (in addition to the other speaker packs I outline in my email) again the Canton CD-1 or the like as I did above - the wife would be a fan of the looks, but I can`t find anyone who knows much about their sound to recommend them. What HiFi gives 5 stars for movie sound, but doesn`t like them for music sound due to lack of mid range . . . Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Jim

Oh - nice exhaustive article on the phones (I`ll refer to it in the future if I want to upgrade) - but I thought you were going to do a sub-sat recommendation article? Perhaps if you do one in the near future, you could also attach at the end what your thinking is on the latest offerings for budget-ish amps/receivers to combine them with?? ;) Sort of the all-star line up . . .

This item was edited on Monday, 17th November 2003, 09:59

rainbow6 (Competent) posted this on Tuesday, 18th November 2003, 10:10

Westy,
Are you there mate? :)
Jim

rainbow6 (Competent) posted this on Friday, 21st November 2003, 09:15

Umm, Westy?
Ya there?
Jim ;) ;)

rainbow6 (Competent) posted this on Saturday, 22nd November 2003, 19:57

Westy??? (Echo . . . Echo . . . Echo)
Would love to hear back from you on the right smallish sub/sat system for movies/music as per my emails and this thread.
Cheers,
Jim ;)

Go back to Hardware Forum threads, or All Forum threads