Page 1 of Akura ADV14S DVD player £37.49 at Kwiksave

Hardware Forum

Akura ADV14S DVD player £37.49 at Kwiksave

Pistol (Competent) posted this on Wednesday, 13th August 2003, 16:50

Just got a Kwiksave flyer through the door, they are selling the Akura ADV14S for the very low price of £37.49 from the 13th to the 26th of August.

The bumph says it plays DVDs, CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, MP3s and Kodak Picture CDs. It has Dolby Digital, DTS, S-Video and SCART.

What I`d like to know is:
[*]Is the picture quality decent
[*]Is it multi-region/can it be hacked
[*]Can it play DVD-R/DVD+R etc.

Any info would be appreciated, I have a mate who works at Kwiksave so he could get extra discount, but I need to know if it`s worth recommending it to him. (I guess he may get one anyhow, since he would have no trouble taking it back!)

RE: Akura ADV14S DVD player £37.49 at Kwiksave

bullitt2 (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Friday, 15th August 2003, 12:55

Have just seen this in my local Somerfield Supermarket (who own KwikSave).
It looks good for the price. But does it play vcd?

Doodlebug (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Saturday, 16th August 2003, 00:59

HI All

I bought one of these on wednesday 13th aug and its played a region 1 out of the box. no probs with the DVD-r or VCD picked the dolby up great and very clear picture. I like the menu for mp3 disks. no LED/LCD readout on the unit itself. Came with scart lead and set of phono leads in the box. I only gave it a short test on each disk but it played DVDs that my eclipse dosen`t want to know. I don`t think its a bad buy at £37.49, all I need now is a 15m s-vhs cable now to get it running properly on the projector

coolerking (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Saturday, 16th August 2003, 04:24

Doodlebug
Thanks for this!
If it`s multi-region straight out the box - and plays mp3, vcd, cd-r & dvd-r - it`s a steal at this price. Last time I looked there were 3 left at my local Somerfield. It`s straight down there for me as soon as my night shift finishes. Thanx again, CoolerKing.

IN (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Saturday, 16th August 2003, 13:37

Yo Doodle Bug
Just read your request for a 15m SVHS cable, and would like to offer you my services. I am a proffessional AV Technician and have just finished making a 20 ft cable for my projector. If you would like one, post the reply to this message, yours for £10.

andy mac

Doodlebug (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Sunday, 17th August 2003, 22:16

Bugger!!! Thanks for the offer Andy, trust me to read this forum after ordering a S-video lead. I will keep you in mind for the future though if thats ok Andy.

Doodlebug

This item was edited on Sunday, 17th August 2003, 23:16

mad-wolfie (Harmless) posted this on Monday, 18th August 2003, 11:07

If this little player plays VCD`s, CDR & MP3 disks this will be £40 well spent.who else does a player this good for this money?

I may invest in one to use for playing out my presentation & advertising video CD`s at shows.

Wolfie

From Stoke on Trent to Beverly hills - Robbie Williams 1999.

www.wolfieselectro.co.uk
www.stokebikeruns.co.uk

dvdhouse (Competent) posted this on Monday, 18th August 2003, 21:19

I sold 28 of the Akura`s in one day (KS Manager ere) If I didnt have all the hardware I have I might of bought one as for £37.49 its a steel. Plays vcd/svcd too :) and is the slimest player I have seen. Wicked low entry level machine. (Only 2 left in store)
If you need a second player or are just greedy like me get one (if there are any left)

coolerking (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Thursday, 21st August 2003, 11:19

hi dvdhouse,
I have now tried three local KwikSave stores and 1 Somerfield and all are sold out. Since u r a manager for KwikSave do u know if any further stocks will be brought in - and if so - when?
Thanks, CoolerKing

kamin (Competent) posted this on Thursday, 21st August 2003, 11:28

Akura - now there`s a brand I haven`t heard of in years!! :)

Go back to Hardware Forum threads, or All Forum threads