Page 1 of Philips Wide Screen TV`s - Please Post Your Problems Here!!!

Hardware Forum

Philips Wide Screen TV`s - Please Post Your Problems Here!!!

numskull (Competent) posted this on Tuesday, 1st April 2003, 08:05

There are a number of contributors to this forum who have been experiencing similar problems on their Philips WS TV`s. These include

Changing channels at random
Light vertical bands on the screen - most noticable when say watching footy against a green background
TV randomly switching into standby and back on again
Red background instead of blue when changing channels
Red background with yellow/orange lines when viewing teletext
Thin Red/Orange horizontal lines across the screen

Please note, this is not an exhustive list - other problems have been noted.
Our 9527 TV has delveloped all these problems in the last three weeks and I want to gather-up as much info to pass to Philips in an effort to get an admission that there is in issue.

So, please post any issues that you have with your Philps TV here, together with the model number and purchase date. You never know, we just might get them to listen and take some action. Their normal line is "there isn`t a problem and go back to your retailer" - that`s not good enough!

Regards... Num

Num

This item was edited on Tuesday, 1st April 2003, 10:59

RE: Philips Wide Screen TV`s - Please Post Your Problems Here!!!

wizzy (Competent) posted this on Tuesday, 1st April 2003, 09:42

Num

I would also add the white `flashing screen` which happens intermittently for anything between 2 to 15 minutes when the set is first switched on. This fault was present on both the sets I had. Steve109 mentioned he had the same problem on my previous thread.

I think Philips are trying to ignore the problems and are happy to leave it to the retailers to sort out. I phoned another major retailer`s customer services dept. to ask if they`d had problems with the 32PW9527 switching itself on and off - and the girl on the helpdesk actually said "all Philips TVs do that" Then why the hell do they stock them??

The set always got rave reviews and I wonder if the sets sent to the magazines are `tweaked` to make sure there are no faults?

Regards - wizzy

numskull (Competent) posted this on Tuesday, 1st April 2003, 10:03

Cheers for pointing his out Wizz. To be honest, I couldn`t remember all the problems!

C`mon people - get the problems in!!

R N M (Competent) posted this on Tuesday, 1st April 2003, 11:20

32DW6557 18th march-Comet in Kidderminster.

The long list of problems:

1- SEVERE IMAGE WARPING NOT AFFECTED BY VIEWING MODE (always present in the same way in the same parts of the screen)

2- CLOCK LOOSES IT`S TIME OVERNIGHT, GOING BACK TO DEFAULT SETTINGS.

3- 4:3 IF ZOOMED IN CURVES A HECK OF A LOT, AND VEERS OFF TO THE RIGHT, CUTTING IMAGE FROM RIGHT WHIST LEAVING A BIG BLACK BAR DOWN THE LEFT OF THE IMAGE. THROUGH EXT1 (DVD) IN ONLY.

4- SEVERE NTSC OVERSCAN -So much so that it cuts subtitles off the majority of foreign language films. MADE WORSE BY EACH 14:9 and 16:9 zoom, which overcuts even more. PAL is overscanning too much as well, although not this bad.

5- DIGITAL CHANNELS OFTEN DO NOT RESPOND WHEN BUTTON SELECTED.

6- THICK WHITE LINES DOWN THE RIGHT SIDES OF DARK OBJECTS

7- IF THE IMAGE IS ZOOMED INTO 16:9, IT IS STRETCHED DOWN AT THE BOTTOM PART OF THE SCREEN, EQUIVALENT TO 2 PRESSES ON THE REMOTE `DOWN` KEY.

8- SIDES OF SCREEN HAVE SOFT PICTURE (Mostly noticeable on text)...This is where the black bars are if in 4:3 mode.

A NOTE: I`ve checked another of this model in the shop, and it`s the same. It`s a major design fault of this model. I have been in cotact with Philips who pretty much refuse to acknowledge the problems. I am currently putting together a portfolio of information, including photos of the problems. It will go to Philips head office, BBC Watchdog and Trading standards, both of whom I have already contacted regarding this matter. I am hoping that this model will be pulled from the retail shelves until it is sorted out. An £800 set that has all these problems is completely unacceptable.

This item was edited on Tuesday, 1st April 2003, 14:13

numskull (Competent) posted this on Tuesday, 1st April 2003, 12:04

Thanks R N M - Please keep them coming!!

gingerone (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 1st April 2003, 12:06

I have a philips 28pw6006 and have a problem with an overly dark RGB picture (all shaded areas are far too dark).

I do get the vertical lines if the picture is set too bright but not a problem at the correct levels.

I will say that the problems listed about picture warping and being set too far to the left can be rectified by the service menu. I had problems with them but my picture geometry is now spot on.

R N M (Competent) posted this on Tuesday, 1st April 2003, 13:18

I know that Overscan can be altered on virtually any set from a service menu. Overscan is just a gamble, I just didn`t expect it to be as bad as it is on mine. Rendering my enteire collection of HK import disks unwatchable by cutting off subs is not something I can tolerate.

if the other problems can indeed be sorted out from within a menu then great. The Technician who came to look at it a few days ago said he couldn`t do anything about it. I didn`t find that reassuring.

As for the warping, where parts of the image look a lot `fatter` than the others (creating a wrap-arround/wobbly effect), it looks like it`s down to the cathode rays not firing out consistiently, stretching in places while contracting in others. Silly buggers, how could they miss something like this?

gingerone (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 1st April 2003, 13:41

You`re obviously not happy with it, so why not get your money back and get a different make instead? It`s not worth the hassle!

tom-m (Competent) posted this on Tuesday, 1st April 2003, 13:56

Philips 32 6006 12/12/01

Suffers from three dark vertical bands, most notable in RGB mode. Backgrounds like the one in Harry Potter e.g. where the owl is above the street sign, the mist really does show up the bands in all their irritating glory!

Otherwise the tv is okay

rainbow6 (Competent) posted this on Tuesday, 1st April 2003, 20:43

I`ve got a Philips 28PW5324/05, about 3 years old. Sometimes I get a bit of a horizontal white flash at the very top of the screen when the picture changes rapidly from a darker scene to a lighter one, (for instance in Harry Potter where Hagrid and the three kids are walking out of the school, and the camera keeps panning back and forth between Hagrid with a light sky background, and the kids with an earthy background - it`s the scene when they learn about Nicholas Flammel). The TV also has a noticable verticle line nearer the left hand side of the screen, but only in dark scenes, such as the Harry Potter scene with the owl on the Privet Drive sign at the beginning, mentioned earlier, and a few darker scenes in The Matrix, for instance. I`ve changed the brightness levels of my set, and have reduced the effect somewhat. But it`s not completely gone.

I did have trouble on RGB with a Pioneer 454 playing R1 disks, though I have not figured out what to put that down to. It caused strange flickering now and again (darker spots on various parts of the screen, but not the whole screen). The Tosh 220E I have now corrects this. I tried 2 or 3 (can`t remember) Pioneer 454`s out on this and they all did the same with my TV. I don`t know whether to put it down to my TV, or the Pioneer. As the Tosh doesn`t do it, I`m inclined to say the Pioneer. However, I have also noticed it doing it to a lesser degree on TV playback of ER on the RTE channel here in Northern Ireland (I`ve got cable with NTL). Hmmm. Again, as it doesn`t do it on any other channels, I`m not sure what to say.

That`s my 2p! I don`t know whether an engineer could fix the above problems or not - unless anyone says otherwise, I`d guess not.

Regards,
Jim

Go back to Hardware Forum threads, or All Forum threads