Page 1 of UMAX/YAMADA 2100 FAULTY?????

Hardware Forum

UMAX/YAMADA 2100 FAULTY?????

galaxy (Competent) posted this on Tuesday, 14th January 2003, 16:55

I am wondering if anyone else has just purchased the above with the speakers from Ebuyer.com.

I have connected it up correctly and adjusted all the dvd settings to get the true 5.1 sound but various ` CLICKS ` can be heard coming from various speaker positions even when volume turned down.

The clicks are not present though if option DOWNMIX is set from OFF to STEREO but you do lose the 5.1 output.

All leads and connections checked and all fine. " ClIcK! "

RE: UMAX/YAMADA 2100 FAULTY?????

Kevin Fairhurst (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Wednesday, 15th January 2003, 00:18

Excuse the pun, but it sounds faulty to me!

Kev

chakryreddy (Harmless) posted this on Thursday, 16th January 2003, 10:47

Do you hear those clicks when in 5.1 Sound mode while playing movies or is it just when you try to adjust the setting.

Please reply as I`m thinking about buying the same Umax/yamada dvd player from ebuyer.com.

Chakry Reddy

oovarvoo (Harmless) posted this on Thursday, 16th January 2003, 15:23

I have just bought 2 of these systems one for myself and one for my sister.After setting both of them up the popping sounds could be heard on both so I then decided to set the speaker system up on my PC 5.1 sound card.The result was no more popping noises so I would say the problem is with the player,what it is I do not know.I have emailed ebuyer for any advice but I just got the details on how to return it if I so wanted.

If somebody else can set their speaker system up to a DD5.1 source then try it and report back.

dude (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Thursday, 16th January 2003, 16:32

i have just received my order at home today.
getting worried now I wonder if all the sets were faulty,
was that the reason for the reduction in price! which now seems to have gone up again to £93.99
would they really sale faulty goods knowingly?
i wonder who will be paying for the courier charges for sending them back
and what about all the inconvinence caused.

has any one else who has purchased this player had any problems?

Kevin Fairhurst (Mostly Harmless) posted this on Friday, 17th January 2003, 15:51

I don`t have on of these, but there is a HUGE thread about this on the "Bargain forum" at www.thedvdforums.com - lots of people have bought this system and encountered the same problem. It appears the fault is with the DD decoder within the player, and discussions are ongoing there including info from Yamada IIRC.

The thread is titled "DVD player with DD decoder and 5:1 speakers £93.99" if you`re going looking for it...

Kev

R.Warner (Harmless) posted this on Saturday, 18th January 2003, 14:38

Purchased one of these systems from ebuyer.com earlier in the week as I`d already purchased a stand alone umax2100 from bigpockets.co.uk for someone else and was impressed. The `clicks` can be heard from each of the speakers but also the player stops after about 20-30 minutes and just freezes, it does this on all disks, dvd`s, vcd`s, audio and mp3 disks. I`ve contacted ebuyer about this but having read about other peoples problems with their returns system i`m now kinda worried!!

TMack (Harmless) posted this on Sunday, 19th January 2003, 11:16

Damn! I bought one from Ebuyer after reading a couple of very good reviews. However, I also have the random popping and clicking. I have asked ebuyer for a replacement under their returns scheme - I am now thinking that I would be better off cancelling the order - it only arrived on Friday. I am also concerned that Ebuyer has a BAD reputation where returns and replacements are concerned - if anyone has bought one of these from Ebuyer and wishes to contact me (there`s strength in numbers) I can be contacted on nikcam_ynot[at]moc.liamtoh We can compare notes about Ebuyer`s response and, if it looks like they are dragging their feet we can threaten joint legal action via trading standards, samll claims court etc. I hope it doesn`t come to this - but I have heard more than one horror story. On the other hand, if they deal with the issue promptly and effectively I will be first to publicise that they have done so.

Tony

T Eden (Harmless) posted this on Sunday, 19th January 2003, 16:24

I`ve just sent eBuyer an enote asking if there is some form of firmware update that can be applied to the machine. If there isn`t I`ll try to swap the machine (and not the speakers) back.

There`s some good information about consumer rights at
http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/consumers/index.htm

Terry

chancey (Harmless) posted this on Sunday, 19th January 2003, 17:27

Hi

I just got the same player from ebuyer which has the clicking noises.
Did you find out anything from ebuyer about an update for replacement?

paul

Go back to Hardware Forum threads, or All Forum threads