Page 1 of Multiregion Hack for Samsung DVD S224 player

Hack Help Forum

Multiregion Hack for Samsung DVD S224 player

jac78kal (Harmless) posted this on Monday, 9th September 2002, 17:18

Could somebody pls help me obtain the multiregion hack for this player if there is one. I am assuming I cannot use the same hack that is listed on this site for other samsung players.

I want it to be able to play dvds from all regions.You can e-mail me me at haihtum[at].ei.raelctase Just for your information it is a region 2 player. I would appreciate it if you could direct me to somebody who might have an idea. Thanks a million

RE: Multiregion Hack for Samsung DVD S224 player

Mike G (Elite) posted this on Monday, 9th September 2002, 17:39

Basically, it`s exactly the same hack:

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/full/thomson3300.asp

except you use 5, 7, 5, 3, 8 rather than 3, 8, 7, 6, 7 as stated.

Mike

P.S. You could have found this out for yourself if you`d used the SEARCH box at the top of the forum! ;-)

scumbag (Competent) posted this on Monday, 9th September 2002, 20:22

Nice one Mike, if more people that use this and other sites, had half a brain, well they would be dangerous. What exactly do they think a search box is for?? They must have used a similar box to get to this site, "RIGHT"!!??

jac78kal (Harmless) posted this on Tuesday, 10th September 2002, 11:48

Mike G...Look thanks a lot for the replying to my query.

I am actually new to this hack thing. Just found this site by chance while I was searching for hacks.

I do realise my query may have seemed petty to you since the answer was previously posted by you on another forum. I did search the region hacks listed in the info section of the file. It did not seem to list my player and different samsung players had different hacks. I wanted to confirm the right hack for my player rather than risk screwing it up by entering the wrong one. I am sure u understand my wish to safeguard my little investment.

Since you seem to be an absolute expert on the topic
Could I just ask you a few more questions

The hack you provided!
1)So the hack can be performed using the players own remote? There is no need to use a special AllinOne remote or anything?

2) Is this hack permanent? Or is it one of those hack which only usage of 25 times? Is it possible to reverse the hack if I needed to?

3) Is there any known side effects for this hack that I should be aware of? Anything else it disables?

4) Could you tell me what this statement on the Thomson hack page below means and what I need to do as my TV has only a scart output?

"On various Samsung models this hack will also disable Macrovision, but you have to turn off the Quasi-PAL option and set the SCART output type to Video rather than RGB"

Thanks in advance for taking the time on my query. I really appreciate it

Mike G (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 10th September 2002, 13:09

Hello there,

1) Yes, you just use the player`s own remote.

2) Yep, you hack it once and it stays that way. There`s no "25 times" limit or anything like that.

It is possible to reverse the hack - just perform the "cold reset" again by holding down PLAY and STOP on the front panel until the language screen appears, then press 1 for English. This restores the player to factory default settings (i.e. region 2).

3) Nothing to worry about. On this model, the hack only enables multi-region playback - it doesn`t affect anything else.

4) Just ignore this statement, as it doesn`t apply to your player. Macrovision disabling only works on much older Samsung players like the 709, 809 and 909. (If you don`t know what Macrovision is, have a look at the FAQ links in the left hand column. The rec.video.dvd FAQ has a very good explanation under "copy protection issues".)

Anyway, it`s not a problem, and I wasn`t really having a pop at you, it`s just that you tend to get sick of answering the same questions over and over again when a simple forum search would find the answer! I`m always happy to help if you need clarification on anything or if you`re unsure of what a hack does.

Lastly - don`t worry if you get the hack wrong, you won`t damage your player. Just go back to the beginning and try again.

Mike

This item was edited on Tuesday, 10th September 2002, 13:14

neilh (Harmless) posted this on Saturday, 19th October 2002, 18:58

well i`ve been in this site for a good while now and am still none the wiser?
You seem to be very knowelagable and patient with idiots- and hopefully still are. I have just signed up to dvd reviewer, after being told about the site by a friend.

Is the samsung s225 the same as the s224 or not - do you know of a hack that is safe to use, or do I try to take it back to good old safeway and get one that is all sinning and dancing.

I can get a loan of many svcd but at present they will not play - do not know wether it is because the are a different region or because it is because they are svcd`s.

The box said it played svcd`s but the manual diddent mention it and neither did samsungs own site for its specifications.

any help will be appreciated - for this novice is perplexed.

Mike G (Elite) posted this on Saturday, 19th October 2002, 22:01

neilh,

The s225 and s224 are exactly the same internally - the differences between them are purely cosmetic.

I`m not sure why you haven`t been able to get SVCDs to play, as these players are supposed to be able to handle them. (It is definitely not a "region" issue - region codes only apply to DVDs, not VCDs or SVCDs.)

It could just be that the SVCDs are badly authored (i.e. they don`t conform exactly to the SVCD rule book), or the media is bad.

The standard hack (for multi-region DVD playback) is perfectly safe to use - just follow the instructions that I mentioned earlier. I`ve also posted a more detailed description here:

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forums/thread.asp?Forum=176&Thread=124492&Type=1

Which branch of Safeway did you buy the player from, by the way? None of the Safeways near me (Tyneside) stock it.

Mike

scumbag (Competent) posted this on Saturday, 19th October 2002, 22:21

SVCD`s, pop the disc in, not a lot happens, then press play, a message on screen appears (vcd blah,blah,blah "menu") press menu button the play, should play now.

bluebird1 (Harmless) posted this on Sunday, 20th October 2002, 10:46

ok macrovision on this machine when u get the language screen when u first turn it on it says "macrovison z02" at the bottom so surley there is an option to turn it off somewhere?

neilh (Harmless) posted this on Sunday, 20th October 2002, 22:42

Mike
Thanks for your help still to try the hack but thought I would let you know that it was a Safeway in Coatbridge near Glasgow.
your reputation as a DVD Hack expert is going out across the web, many thanks.
Neilh

Go back to Hack Help Forum threads, or All Forum threads