Page 1 of Soldier is refused room at hotel

General Forum

Soldier is refused room at hotel

Stu UK (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 4th September 2008, 08:14

BBC news and for those that cant get it

"A soldier home on leave after being injured in Afghanistan was refused a room by a hotel when he showed his military ID card at reception.

Corporal Tomos Stringer, 23, from Gwynedd, was visiting a wounded colleague in Surrey when he was turned away from the Metro Hotel in Woking.

He spent the night in his car after being told it was management policy not to accept military personnel.

The hotel has declined to comment but the move has been called "deplorable".

Cpl Stringer, of 13 Air Assault Support Regiment, The Royal Logistic Corps, has since returned to Afghanistan but his mother, Gaynor Stringer, said he remains angry at the incident.

She said her son broke his wrist after jumping out of his wagon in Afghanistan. He was treated at a field hospital but was brought back to have it re-set and was on four weeks recovery leave when he decided to visit his friend in June.

FROM THE TODAY PROGRAMME

More from Today programme

Mrs Stringer, who lives at Pentrefelin, near Criccieth, said: "I can`t believe this has happened to one of our soldiers in his own country. He just didn`t know how to react.

"We`ve been to America and their military get treated like heroes over there.

"I think it`s terrible they [UK service personnel] can`t even wear their uniform with pride."

Defence Minister Derek Twigg said: "This case is especially egregious given that the individual concerned was on injury leave from Afghanistan and visiting an injured colleague.

Hotel refuses to host soldier
"The government and, it is fair to say, the vast majority of people in this country, hold the professionalism, courage and contribution made by all those who serve, and have served in the armed forces in very high regard.

"I am delighted that the armed forces generally enjoy immense respect and gratitude on the part of the nation and that contrary sentiments are rare, though evidently they exist."

Caernarfon MP Hywel Williams said he intended to take the matter further when he had a reply to his letter to the hotel.

He said: "I was astonished when I heard the story from Mrs Stringer. I can`t see why any hotel would want to refuse accommodation to a serving member of the armed forces anyway.

"Tomos was not in his uniform, he was a traveller like anyone else."

The Metro Hotel is owned by a company called American Amusements Ltd, also based in Woking. No-one was available to comment."

here is my email to the CEO and chair and the reqruitment chappie incase the emails dont work

bbew.nerrad[at]ku.oc.stnemesuma-nacirema, notelppa.leahcim[at]ku.oc.stnemesuma-nacirema, htims.ekim[at]ku.oc.stnemesuma-nacirema

regarding the BBC news story Metro hotel refusing a soldier service

Dear Mr Appleton and Mr Smith,

Its is not often that I have cause to write to a company regarding a story in the press, but this story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7596798.stm made my blood boil.

I am amazed at the amount of negative comments I have found on webpages whilst googling for your email addresses. I am sure that this will not be the last email received in your inbox today. I would suggest that you google american amusements and see what pops up.

I am disgusted that your company would refuse a soldier in or out of uniform service within your hotel. The BBC state "He spent the night in his car after being told it was management policy not to accept military personnel." please can you explain to me why you have such a policy? and how would you feel if that was your loved one treated with such gross disrespect?

I look forward to your prompt reply

Stuart Armstrong

please note I have made several forum postings of this email to encourage others to contact you.

I hope you all have time to contact them and let them know how you feel :D

mmm chocolate

RE: Soldier is refused room at hotel

jeffthegun (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 4th September 2008, 08:59

Constant references to google, forums and the internet always make me take emails seriously.

I think this has legs, I really do.

What im listening to (if youre interested)
Newly MySpaced fwiw *Updated..badly*

mbilko (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 4th September 2008, 09:25

I am a reception manager in a large chain of hotels and frankly am staggered, I have never heard of anything like this in the hospitality industry and do not have any clue how they could justify this policy, I will be watching with interest.

We (our chain) actually give discounts to Government officials including the Military forces, fire and police services so to say my flabber has never been so gasted would be an understatement!!

handsome.b.wonderful (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 4th September 2008, 10:11

Was the guy p***ed or being abusive to the receptionist or did he just flash his ID and politely request a room? If it`s the latter then shame on that hotel... :/

Stu UK (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 4th September 2008, 10:24

going off the BBC he produced his army ID when the hotel requested some ID I assume he didnt have a credit card.

mmm chocolate

flyingmonkey (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 4th September 2008, 10:27

I read it earlier and it annoyed me. The fact that the hotel won`t even comment is also slightly irksome.

Nick

Stu UK (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 4th September 2008, 10:36

Have just been reading some of the threads on other sites about this and angry seems to be the most common response, followed by a great qoute "who had the pitch forks last " he he

Something tells me the Metro will be experiencing a name change shortly :D

mmm chocolate

kakuzato (Competent) posted this on Thursday, 4th September 2008, 16:00

This is shocking and disgusting. I spent the last 18 years in the international hospitality industry and now lecture in hospitality & culinary arts. I have never come across this kind of behaviour. I am appalled that a member of our armed forces is treated in such a way. In my day they would have been offered a room at a seriously discounted rate or free if possible.

I hope that the hotel concerned is truly embarassed. This really does make my blood boil.

Juls (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 4th September 2008, 16:27

Quote:
We (our chain) actually give discounts to Government officials including the Military forces, fire and police services so to say my flabber has never been so gasted would be an understatement

Who do you work for? (pm me if you would rather not say on here)

Cant believe the hotel havent even responded :/

Juls

marksparks999 (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 4th September 2008, 17:45

an absolute b100dy disgrace, having served abroad in the armed forces, and now in the emergency services... this country really has a lot of questions to ask about itself.

No wonder people are queuing to get out and move abroad, where hardworking people are are thought more of than lazy layabouts scrounging of the state who wouldn`t know a decent days work if it bit them on the @rse!

`i am going to live forever or die trying`

Go back to General Forum threads, or All Forum threads