Page 1 of Leaving the Scene of an Accident

General Forum

Leaving the Scene of an Accident

Dance Like A Monkey (Elite) posted this on Friday, 26th March 2004, 10:33

Morning,

I have just had my brother on t`phone. Last night the police came around and charged him with failure to report and leaving the scene of an accident. It turns out that on his way home from work, someone tried to push in front of him at a roundabout, he wouldn`t give way and the two card "rubbed". My brother gave the finger and sped off.

When he got home he noticed that his wing mirror was bent back and there were some superficial scratches on the rear panel of his car.

The police turned up a few hours later and said the other driver had tried to get him to stop by beeping his horn, and that he was being charged with the afformentioned. He was told that it can range from a fine to points to a court appearance and he should expect a letter in the post in the next few weeks.

Anyone got any experience of this? What is the likely outcome? He has already told the police that he knew the cars colided at the time, so saying he wasn`t aware until he got home can`t be used as an excuse!

Cheers for any advice (and for once I`m glad that I sold my car and started using public transport!)

RE: Leaving the Scene of an Accident

mib150 (Competent) posted this on Friday, 26th March 2004, 10:58

Not too sure, but the missus used to be a copper, she told me that this is a serious offence. Might not be too bad, depends on witnesses I suppose. He would probably have done better to keep shtum to the fuzz.

Good luck!

The 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California, less than 100 were made. My father spent 3 years rebuilding this model.....it is his life.....it is his love....."it is his fault he didn`t lock the garage!"

Rassilon (Elite) posted this on Friday, 26th March 2004, 11:10

I would hope that common sense would prevail, as there were no injuries & it would be treated as a knock for knock. Depends who was more in the wrong in the "rubbing" & damage to the other party.

There are bigger cases out there than a minor case of road-rage that need addressing.

"Great chunks of my past detaching themselves like melting icebergs"

Bigger on the inside

Dance Like A Monkey (Elite) posted this on Friday, 26th March 2004, 11:36

Quote:
He would probably have done better to keep shtum to the fuzz.

Yeah, I told him that he should have said that he didn`t notice until he got home and was going to report it in the morning, but 20/20 hindsight it a wonderful thing! (Not that I recommend lying to the police as a course of action ;) )

Quote:
There are bigger cases out there than a minor case of road-rage that need addressing.

My (and obviously his) feelings exactly. Hoping for a fine and a slap on the wrist.

RJS (undefined) posted this on Friday, 26th March 2004, 11:43

Whilst on the subject...

...My brother parked his car in the road opposite the other night, and in the morning someone had scraped his bumper and broken the glass of his indicator whilst parking their car most likely.

Next to it was a Jaguar with damage in the right place for it to be that car, so he knocked on the door of the owner, who claimed he incurred the damage to his car on another occasion in the city.

So my brother`s car is now worth a little bit less, and he has to incurr the cost for someone elses mistake, someone who won`t stand up and take responsibility for what they did.

Editor
DVD REVIEWER

bigfan (Elite) posted this on Friday, 26th March 2004, 12:01

He didn`t notice that his wing mirror was bent right back???

sultan (Competent) posted this on Friday, 26th March 2004, 12:13

I think leaving the scene of an accident counts as a "hit and run", a serious offence.

As far as I am aware, if you are involved in an accident (no matter how small) you are supposed to stop and exhange details for insurance purposes. The Police are only to be involved if there are injuries to people (or animals) or if the other driver has sped off after the accident.

Fitz (Elite) posted this on Friday, 26th March 2004, 12:24

Had a similar experience when our daughter was a babe in arms. Daughter was in distress with tummy ache and making our way back home when I overtook a bus, misjudged the width of the car and had a slight bump but didn`t stop. As soon as we got home and settled daughter down, went round to the local nick and reported incident. Got a letter from the police a while later saying to the effect " I was a naughty boy" pointing out responsibility to stop after accident, blah blah. But they decided to take no further action.

JohnF

Go back to General Forum threads, or All Forum threads